Friday, August 6, 2010

Of Running and Beer

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. At least, that's what Benjamin Franklin said. And who am I to disagree with Ben Franklin? Whoever drinks beer is quick to sleep, he who sleeps does not sin, those without sin enter Heaven; so let's drink beer and go to heaven! See if you can name that religious reformer. It has been re-quoted by many, with some variation.

As we've planned this race, I've been told by many a runner, "Runners like beer." I have found that to be true. And, as was planned from the beginning, we will have beer. We are not selling beer, so I don't need any local political commentary and trouble. This little town has had its share of trouble with those who have dared to attempt to sell beer. Or rather, the town has given those individuals trouble. We plan to avoid all that trouble and just give it away. We hope you like what we serve! If not, more for the rest of us.

Just in case there's a question, beer will only be served to those of legal age who run our race, volunteer, or sponsor. No freeloaders! However, since we are having a good picnic after the race, I advise you all to bring your family and friends and extra beer to share. I know I'll be bringing some of my own beer, and I will share some with some of my fastest new friends. Consider it a bonus. We have a family event here, and we want you to have fun and feel at home as you eat and drink after the race.

When enjoyed in moderation, beer can be a boon to a runner. It contains water, hops, malted barley, and yeast. All good things. And (when homebrewed and unfiltered) b-complex vitamins. It contains anti-oxidants, and has been linked to lowered risks of heart disease and stroke. Consume too much too often, though, and of course many of those benefits turn into increased risks. As runners, we should be interested in our health above all. So, drinking a little beer with regularity is a good thing.

Oh, one more note. I understand that homebrewing will be legal in Oklahoma as of the date of this race. That's a good thing. Someone might bring some to share. I will, if I can get some brewed up for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment